Visa Process

The Czech Republic is known for being one of the easiest contries to move to in the European Union, especially as a US citizen. I am applying for a work visa as a freelancer. There are lots of different types of work visas, and this one is the easiest and the most practical to obtain. It is called a zivno visa. 
We were all put into contact with Visa Guru, a woman who runs her visa buisness to help students who go through The Langauge House. I think she almost exclusivly works with us. She has been helping students get thier zivno for the last 10+ years, and is very expereinced with the ins and outs. 

To start the process, I needed to apply for the Visa. The requirments are to have proof of housing for at least one year and an affidavit from the US embassy. I got my affidavit back in September during the course, and my houseing solidified by the first week of October. I also needed letter from my bank saying that I had at least $7,000 in my accounts. 

Then Visa Guru needed too get some of the documents translated and noterized before sending in my application and scheduling my appointment. It would be held in Dresden, at the Czech Embassy, and includes an interveiw. I thought this was a little weird, mainly that I had to travel to Germany to get a Visa for Czech, but I guess thats bureaucracy for you.  

My appointment was on October 18th, and Nöelle's was on October 19th. We decided to make a trip out of it, and explore Dresden. We left early Tuesday morning to catch our 8:30 train ride. It was a cold clear morning, and I got lots of nice photos of the Czech and German contryside. 

Wating to see which platform our train will be on.

Platform found! 

Almost out of Prague

So foggy. The train followed the Elbe river. 

So sunny! 

Finally in Germany

More oof Germany


So green! 

Fresh off the train in Dresden! It was about 2 hours in total.

Outside the station

Lots more grafitti here than in Prague.

The buildings look simmilar though.. 
After getting of the train, we first went to find the Embassy. After finding the Czech embassy, we then went searching for our Hostel, Lollis Homestay. We were able to drop off our bags but not able too check into our dorm. 

Lunch at a small italian restaurant. Very yummy

We meet up with Lee, and alumni from the August group. He had just finished his Visa appointment, and was leaving later that day. We picked his brain about the interveiw. 

We spent the day walking around, exploring Dresden by foot. 

Palaisgarten park 

Lots of old town, and you can see the castle and cathedrals. 
Selfie in front of the Augustus Bridge

Taken form central plaza 

Yet again, another old building. 
After exploring the city, Nöelle and I retreated back to our hostel to rest. It was lots of walking, and the tempatrue was a bit lower then what we expereinced in Prague. We rested for a bit before going out for dinner and drinks at a Cuban restruat that was recomended by the hostel. 

They had a caipirinha special, 4 for the price of 3. You know I had to indulge. Nöelle didn't help me at all. 

We both got a black bean soup and split two types of empanadas. It was so yummy. Simple food, that hit the spot on the cold Dresden evening. 
We called it an early night. Nöelle was feeling a little sick, and I didn't want to be late for my appointment. 

I found some fun graffiti on my walk to the embassy. 


Selfie beofre the interveiw! 

The appointment at the embassy went very smoothly. They spend the first 15 minutes going over all my documents and passport. Then I had to sign a waver saying that I understood the interveiw would be done in english, then translated to czech for the letter. The woman asked me about my family, my education, what I wanted to do for work in Prague, how much I expected to make, my apartment, and if I knew how much Ii would be paying in heath insurance and social secerity each month. In total, the appointment took about 45 minutes. It went very smoothly I think. Now I will wait anywere from 30 days to 90 days to get approved for the Visa. After my appointment, I met up with Nöelle for breakfast.

So many options! 

Coffee and Breakfast. I am loving coffee here, it puts the US too shame. 

After breakfast we explored the new town, checking out lots of clothing stores. 

A street in new town

We got dinner, and the food was very dissapointing. I think people mainly come here for the aperol drinks.... 

We found a little courtyard with some really fun buildings! 

Such cool art! 
Jungle themed! 
We took a short rest at the hostel before going out again for a few quick drinks. 

We first checked out The Big Lewbouski themed bar.

The art was super cool


Of course I had to get a white russian! They also had the movie playing on repeat on three different TVs. This was also the first bar that allowed smoking inside, something I am very much not used to. 

After Lewouski, we went back to the cuban restruant. The pervious night I had seen that they had Pisco Sours, and I had to try this one. It was very yummy, and brought back great memories of Chile. 

The next morning Nöelle had her visa appointment. After she left, I packed up and checked out of the hostel. I then went on a hunt for a breakfast spot, and found a small cafe close to the embasy. We were takiing a bus back to Prague only beacuse it was cheaper than the train. The stop was much further away, soo after breakfast we had to hike across the city. We could have taken a tram, but whats the fun in that?

A gold statue

Looking into old town. 

Crossing the Agustus bridge again. 



Our bus was over an hour late, so we waited in the cold. Luckily it was not rainy. The bus stops here can be nice, but the Dresden stop was little more than a parking lot. There was no shelter or even a bech to sit on. Nöelle and I took turns going into a super market nearby to warm up and get some food. 
The bus ride was not nearly as pretty as the train ride, it was very flat and there was a lot of grassland and farms. 
We got into Prague around 6:00 pm. We were both glad to be back in the slightly warmer weather. I'm talking 45-50 degrees, instead of 35-40. It doesn't seem like much of a difference, but we sure noticed. 

Once my Visa gets approved, I will be able to pick it up from the embassy. Then I will have to go to the forgin police in Prague for another interveiw and registration. Visa Guru will go with me for this appointment. Then I will get a ID number, finish registruing for social and financial registration, then I will recieve health care! I am so close, and now I have to wait patently to get approved. 

Wishing the best for your adventures,
Cienna

Comments

  1. My Goodness, what a process...But you went there partly to travel and see more countries...I think the train sounds like a better way to travel?..Loved reading your blog and will go back and reread several times just so I don't miss anything...Wondering about your daily teaching and how that process works...Are you learning to speak the language?..Enough questions...Love and Hugs to you, Oma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adventure On! Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment