Weekend trip to Punta Arenas

I left on Tuesday evening by bus to catch my flight from Santiago to Punta Arenas. My classmates were going but I had decided to go more on my own rather then with the group. Punta Arenas is the last big city in the south of Chile, and it if famous for its penguins and being so close to Patagonia.
I arrived in PA around 5pm on Wednesday, and checked into my hostel. When I looked online for things to do in the area, I found that everything was so expensive, upwards of $100 just for a half day trip. I spoke to my hostel owner to see what places and things he recommended for me to do, and I was able to plan out my itinerary from there. Thursday morning I met up with Doch, one of my classmates, to make our plans for the next few days. We spent the morning walking around town, booking activities for the next three days, and enjoying some of the views. At 3:30 we found ourselves at a brewery, Austral, for a tour and tasting.
Lookout from the view point

My first beer tasting
On Friday morning, I went on a tour to the Magdalena Island to look at Magellan penguins. We left PA at 8 am, and arrived at the docks around 8:30. Then there was an hour boat ride to the island. We were allowed an hour to walk around the island. I was within a yard of the penguins. After the tour took us to the Marta Island where we did not get off the island, but we were able to look at the cliffs and shores and see seals and different types of birds.







Marta Island
After a very bumpy boat ride back to shore, I made lunch at my hostel. I spent the afternoon walking around town, and getting some coffee at a local shop. That evening, I meet a women from Canada who had started her year of backpacking in Argentina, and two men from the UK who where just finishing up their 5 month trip. I really enjoy meeting people in hostels and learning about their trips and hearing their stories.
Early Saturday morning, a van picked me up from my hostel for a 12 hour trip to see emperor penguins. The van picked up several others, including Doch, and we drove to a ferry that took us to Terra de Fuego. After the two hour ride we landed on Terra de Fuego. We stopped by a museum, and a restaurant before heading towards Parque Pinguino Rey, or the king penguin park. The park is a conservation and research facility, and I was able to be about 50 feet away from the penguins.
On the ferry



King Penguins


Guanacos




After we made our way to a different ferry we drove along the coast, stopping occasionally to look at wild life or other small attractions.

I left PA on Sunday morning, sad to be returning to classes on Monday.

Wishing for the best on your adventures, 
Cienna

Comments

  1. What a trip, so much to see and such an adventure for us to come along...Thanks Cienna for sharing with us. Love, Oma and Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What FUN! I imagine the guanacos are much like the deer at Wallowa Lake! hahaha. XOXOX mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment